English Language Proficiency

You must be proficient in English to become a member of Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba and to be successful in your career in Manitoba. See Language Requirements for registration.

Practise English Online

Take advantage of the Government of Canada's online resources to practise English from your home computer:

  • English Online Program This, and other English as an Additional Language (EAL) programs, can only be referred to through WELARC.

Free English Language Test and Classes

A free English language test is available for all permanent residents wishing to be placed in English language classes through funding from the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC). The test is called the Canadian Language Benchmarks Placement Test (CLBPT). The Winnipeg English Language Assessment and Referral Centre (WELARC) provides the test for placement into English classes. WELARC will refer you to free English language classes.

The only reason to take a CLBPT is for placement into language classes. If a you are curious about your CLB levels, there is an online self-assessment http://clb-osa.ca/ that will give you an unofficial CLB score in reading and listening. If you feel you need or want to improve your language skills, please contact WELARC for an assessment and referral appointment.

400-275 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg, MB

You will learn more about language requirements as you read through the Member Registration information.