You must be proficient in English to become a member of Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba, and to be successful in your career in Manitoba.
Mobility applicants registered with other provincial jurisdictions are required to communicate effectively in English.
A language proficiency requirement is not required if the applicant has already met a similar language proficiency requirement to register, following the Labour Mobility Chapter of the Canadian Free Trade Agreement (CFTA).
Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba will accept mobility applicants coming from any province other than Quebec as being proficient in English.
For mobility applicants from Quebec, Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba reserves the right to assess the applicant to ensure either:
- The applicant has a degree from a university where English was the language of instruction; or
- The applicant can demonstrate English proficiency equivalent to Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) level 8.
All first-time applicants must complete Competency-Based Assessment (CBA). Communication in English is a competency category in CBA with a minimum rating of 3 in all communication competencies to obtain professional registration. CBA communication competencies for engineering and geoscience are as follows:
Engineering Communication Competencies
- 2.1 Demonstrate effective verbal communication with team members, clients, contractors and the public
- 2.2 Demonstrate ability to communicate effectively in writing with team members, clients, contractors and the public
- 2.3 Demonstrate ability to effectively review key documents
Geoscience Communication Competencies
- 4.1 Deliver and comprehend oral communication
- 4.2 Deliver and comprehend written communication
- 4.3 Communicate technical information effectively to a variety of audiences
A rating of 3 in the CBA communication competencies aligns and is consistent with a Canadian Language Benchmark level 8.
You must provide all documents required by Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba in English, or have them translated into English and notarized.
The Immigrant Centre, located in Winnipeg, provides cost-effective translation services > icmanitoba.com
English Language Classes
If you feel you need or want to improve your language skills, please contact WELARC for an assessment and referral appointment.
400-275 Portage Avenue
Practise English Online
Take advantage of the Government of Canada's online resources to practise English from your home computer: