Frequently Asked Questions

It is the law. The Engineering and Geoscientific Professions Act, an Act of the Manitoba Legislature, states that to legally practise Engineering or Geoscience in Manitoba, you must be registered as a Professional Member of Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba or practice under the supervision of a Professional Member of the Association.

To become a P.Eng. or P.Geo. you must either enroll as an intern with Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba or transfer in as a P.Eng. or P.Geo. under the inter-association mobility agreement with another provincial engineering or geoscience regulator. However, there is no transferring of status at the pre-registration level.
The short answer is that the membership process is complicated because Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba reviews applications thoroughly. Since the process partly depends on the number of applications we receive, and the availability of our volunteer committee members, we cannot guarantee a specific timeframe. Cost also varies. For example, if you are an internationally educated professional, the membership process can cost up to $7,000 and take up to 7 years to complete.
As part of the membership process, Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba will assign you an ID number. You can use your ID to log in to your profile on the Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba website. If you are or have been a Student with the Association or an Academic Assessment applicant, or have previously been registered with the Association, you will already have an Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba ID number. Please quote this number when you contact our office. If you are uncertain whether or not you have an ID number, make sure you ask. We do not want to create duplicate records for you.
Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba recommends that you establish informal relationships with Professional Members to provide advice, support, and impartial guidance. Consider networking through industry events such as the Association's annual Ingenium Conference and annual Student Networking Event.
Yes. However, the Association reserves the right to require any applicant to demonstrate proficiency in oral and written English. See > Language Requirements for details.
Contact the Director of Admissions.
If you are enrolled in a pre-registration program in another province, and are moving to Manitoba, you are advised to remain enrolled in that province, complete your registration, and register in Manitoba later as a Mobility applicant.
Please see > Language Requirements for details on notarized translations.
Yes, as long as you are working under the direct supervision of a Professional Engineer or Geoscientist who takes full responsibility for your work. According to The Engineering and Geoscientific Professions Act, you may not work as a Professional Engineer or Geoscientist, nor assume any title implying that you are a Professional Engineer or Geoscientist, until you become registered as such with Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba.
The Internationally Educated Engineers Qualification (IEEQ) program is an education program. It helps internationally educated Engineers meet part of the requirements to become registered as Professional Engineers with Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba. If you complete the Academic Assessment process and are assigned five (5) or fewer confirmatory exams, you are eligible to apply for the IEEQ program. IEEQ is administered by the University of Manitoba and consists of matching exams assigned to courses available at the university. The IEEQ program offers a comprehensive syllabus that includes matched courses, a Law and Ethics course, a Canadian Culture in the Workplace course, and a co-op work term placement. For details on the IEEQ and how to apply, visit umanitoba.ca
Once you pass the assigned exams, you will be declared academically qualified and invited to enroll in the pre-registration program.
All new applicants must write the ABC Test. Temporary Licensees must rewrite the ABC Test every three years. If your student enrollment has lapsed with the Association at any time after passing a university-acquired ABC Test, you must rewrite the test. If you are reinstating and you did not resign in good standing, you must write or rewrite the ABC Test.
The ABC Test is an open book, straightforward test. It is unlikely that you will fail. However, if you do fail, you will be given a number of opportunities to pass. Our concern is only that you are familiar with the Act, By-laws and Code of Ethics. If you fail the ABC Test three times, we may ask you to attend an interview, during which you will discuss the purpose and function of Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba. You will be given a long-answer test to complete following the interview. There is no fee for the long-answer test.
The pre-registration program is a mandatory pre-requisite to registration as a Professional Member of Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba, with a few exceptions (See Applicant Type). You must participate in the pre-registration program while you obtain the work experience necessary to become registered as a Professional Engineer or Geoscientist. See Pre-Registration for details.

Everyone claims work experience using progress reports submitted through their online profile. In certain cases the paper progress report form can be used. Administrative fees will be levied on those reports that are submitted late, if the person did not go through the academic assessment process first. Former assessment applicants are exempt from late fees since they have already paid for their academic assessment. However, they should still try to submit as promptly as possible.
You must either hold an accredited Engineering degree or complete an Academic Assessment and be deemed academically qualified. You must be at least 18 years of age, and you must be legally entitled to work in Canada. See Applicant Type to determine your eligibility.
As an Intern, you will be required to participate in a structured program, whereby the Association will guide, record, monitor, and review the progress and quality of your Engineering or Geoscience work experience, professional development, and volunteer service. You are expected to obtain employment under the supervision of a Professional Engineer or Professional Geoscientist who is registered with the Association. Your supervisor must assume responsibility for your work, and you must acquire the acceptable work experience, volunteer service, and professional development.
Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba requires all applicants for registration as Professional Members to have obtained at least four years of acceptable work experience, normally following academic qualification, under the guidance and supervision of a registered Professional Engineer or a registered Professional Geoscientist. The supervisor assumes full responsibility for the technical quality of the Intern's work. At least one year of this experience must be obtained in Canada.

Acceptable work experience is defined as comprising the practice of professional Engineering or professional Geoscience, which must include the application of theory, as well as exposure to the areas of practical experience, management, communication skills development, professionalism, ethical responsibilities, and the social implications of Engineering or Geoscience.

See Work Experience for details, including downloadable PDFs outlining acceptable work experience for Engineers and Geoscientists.
As an Intern, you will participate in a structured program to guide, record, monitor, and review the progress and quality of your work experience.

As part of Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba's mandatory pre-registration program, you and your supervisor are required, for every 12 months of your experience (or more often, if you change jobs), to submit progress reports describing your work experience. Our Experience Review Committee will consider these reports, and will notify you of any concerns it may have regarding your work experience.
While Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba does not set hard limits on the amount of experience that may be credited via post-graduate degree(s), other associations may. Often, at least one year of experience must be earned outside of academia in order to register as a Professional Member. If you intend to register in another province, and your registration as a Professional Member with Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba was based purely on academic experience, the other province may ask for additional requirements such as a description of industry experience in order for you to become registered. Check the requirements in the other province.
To obtain credit for your Research/Thesis based Canadian M.Sc. in engineering, you should do the following:
  1. Complete the M.Sc. including the thesis
  2. After becoming an Intern, submit the following documents to the pre-registration program coordinator:

    1. Copy of the M.Sc. diploma
    2. Copy of the official transcripts showing the completion of the M.Sc.
    3. The date on which you started the M.Sc. and the date on which you completed the M.Sc.
  3. Twelve months of credit towards your M.Sc. will be added to your profile. Please note, however, that if you are working full time while doing an M.Sc., you can get credit for only one of these. Also, if the M.Sc. is your only Canadian engineering/geoscience experience, you will still be required to get an additional 12 months of Canadian engineering/geoscience experience. Also note, that this credit is contingent on your having a Bachelor's degree as well as a Master's degree in engineering or geoscience. If you had an undergraduate degree other than engineering or geoscience, you will not be able to get credit for the M.Sc. because it would be considered part of your educational (rather than experience) requirements.
  4. Please note that while twelve months can be credited, it is still possible in certain cases for an Intern to require more than 48 months to complete the pre-registration program. Please review the Acceptable Engineering Work Experience (PDF) or Acceptable Geoscience Work Experience (PDF) documents.
To obtain credit for PhD or post-doctoral work, you should complete your progress reports as you would any other progress reports, except you must indicate which portion of time was devoted to thesis work or the teaching of 3rd or 4th year engineering courses and which portion of time was devoted to other activities. This is done by clicking the - Are you claiming for post-graduation experience? button at the beginning of the progress report.

Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba will allow up to 48 months of credit for a PhD, however, the reports should be detailed with plenty of examples and should clearly follow the Acceptable Engineering Experience document or the Acceptable Geoscience Experience document.

Submitting your thesis in its entirety, or simply submitting a list of published papers is not considered a progress report and you will be asked to resubmit a report that does not clearly demonstrate the criteria that we are requesting.

Your work should clearly demonstrate your own research/design experience and should focus on issues and challenges that you may have encountered while doing this work - e.g. tight timelines, working with challenging co-workers, budgetary constraints, etc. and how you have solved them.
The purpose of the work experience requirement is to demonstrate that you are able to put your education into practice. If you are working in an area that differs from your discipline of graduation, you may well require additional training or education, which will mean that you will likely require more than the four-year minimum to obtain sufficient qualifying work experience. Every case is different however, so please contact if you are uncertain.
If you have recently moved to Manitoba, and have obtained Engineering or Geoscience work experience elsewhere, submit progress reports and supervisor reports for all Engineering or Geoscience experience obtained outside the province as soon as possible after admission as an Engineering or Geoscience Intern.

Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba will consider these reports, and will notify you as to the acceptability of your previous work experience. You and your supervisor(s) will be required to submit additional progress reports, until you are eligible for registration as a Professional Member of Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba. All feedback from the Experience Review Committee goes back to your online profile, so you must log in to check.
Foreign work experience may count for up to three years of your work experience requirement. This time is verified using the normal progress reporting process. However, the supervisor for the reporting period does not have to be a P.Eng. or P.Geo in Manitoba. To use the online reporting system, you will have to give your supervisor guest password access.

At least twelve months of your work experience must be obtained in Canada, or in a Canadian environment such as a Canadian company abroad. In the latter case, these situations will be assessed on a case by case basis and the onus will be on the applicant to make the case for the similarity of their experience to an equivalent Canadian situation. In many instances, the work must have been performed in Canada - for example, where there are climate considerations or where the work experience is deemed significantly different from an equivalent Canadian experience. The Experience Review Committee will make the decision regarding the suitability.

If you were an Academic Assessment applicant, Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba will consider work experience that is gained only after the date of academic qualification normally. Check your letter of academic qualification which you would have obtained at the end of the assessment process for this date. Normally, the date of academic qualification is the date of your Bachelor's degree. In some instances, depending on the assessment, the date of academic qualification may be the date of a later degree such as the Master's or PhD. This may happen, for example, if your first Bachelor's degree was not in engineering (or geoscience).

Pre-graduation credit will be considered, if absolutely necessary, following the same set of rules set out for pre-graduation credit. For those applicants who have more experience, it is often unnecessary and inadvisable to apply for pre-graduation credit since more current experience is considered the most relevant and should be claimed first.
The Engineering and Geoscientific Professions Act requires that all Engineering and Geoscience work be performed by, or "under the immediate and direct personal supervision and guidance of", a Professional Engineer or Geoscientist "who assumes all responsibility for the work." There must, therefore, be a Professional Engineer or a Professional Geoscientist supervising your work.

If there is no Professional Engineer or a Professional Geoscientist at your place of employment, and if your work involves the practice of Professional Engineering or Professional Geoscience, you must have regular contact with a Professional Engineer or Professional Geoscientist who assumes all responsibility for your Engineering or Geoscience work (a mentor). Ideally, your employer will engage the Professional Engineer or Professional Geoscientist to serve as a consulting supervisor to you while you obtain the necessary experience.

You must identify your supervisor(s) in your progress report forms, and you will be expected to advise immediately if your supervisor ceases to assume responsibility for your work and you are unable to find another Professional Member to supervise your work. Both the mentor Engineer or Geoscientist and your direct (non-member) supervisor should complete their portions of the progress forms for each reporting period submitted for review.
Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba must receive the following before sending progress reports to the Experience Review Committee:
  • Progress report
  • Supervisor report
  • Mentor report (if required)

Reasons for delays include:

  • Unresponsive supervisors - As an Intern, you are responsible for encouraging supervisors to complete reports promptly. However, Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba will urge supervisors to act upon your request and if you have already tried to do so
  • Discipline-specific reviewers are unavailable
  • Too many reports to process at a given time
  • Your file(s) requires more clarification or discussion
If your report has been delayed more than 3 months, contact the Pre-Registration Program Coordinator and they will look into why there is a delay.
Throughout your formative period, you will be expected to enhance your professional and personal development by taking courses and seminars, attending conferences, becoming involved with technical and professional organizations, etc., and generally developing a commitment to life-long learning. As a part of the pre-registration program, you are required to develop an appreciation of the volunteer nature of the profession, and to participate in volunteer service activities each year.

See Volunteer Service and Professional Development for details.
You must pass the PPE to become eligible to register as a Professional Member of Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba. You may write the PPE at any time it is offered once you are enrolled as an Intern.
Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba will guide you through the pre-registration program to become registered as a Professional Member. Once you have nearly satisfied the requirements for your work experience, volunteer service, professional development and National Exam, the Association will invite you to submit references. You will be asked to name three Professional Members who are familiar with your work and can provide references on your behalf. Do not provide the references until requested. See Professional References for details.
Your references will be asked to verify your work experience, provide information on your growth in terms of technical and professional judgment, and describe your professionalism, integrity, character, ability to work effectively as part of a team, ability to assume responsibility, commitment to life-long learning, etc.
Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba has adopted national guidelines, which require a minimum of four years of work experience. While the work experience procedures may vary slightly from province to province, the work experience you obtain in Manitoba should be eligible for consideration by another association. As well, your successful completion of the Professional Practice Exam (PPE), which is a national examination, will exempt you from having to write a similar exam in any other province.

Contact the association in your new province as quickly as possible to establish its requirements.

Many prefer to complete the Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba program once it is started, even if you move to another province.
No. Please submit a longer and more detailed 36 month report. Do not submit shorter intervals if you have been working under the same supervision, and you are submitting after the fact.

It is important when sending a longer report that your report shows PROGRESSION. For example, you may describe less detailed projects at the beginning and more detailed and complex projects later in the report.

Administrative late fees may be applicable and will be assessed after ERC approval.
Yes, you have 18 months after graduation to submit any pre-graduation work experience.
Both your report and your supervisor's comments must be received at least two weeks before an ERC meeting to be considered eligible for the agenda. This does not mean, however, that the report will necessarily be reviewed at that meeting. While we make every effort to have your file reviewed, we cannot guarantee that it will be reviewed at the first meeting it may be eligible for.

There are many reasons a file may not make it on an ERC Agenda. Here are some of them:
  1. The reviewers are discipline-specific. If the right disciplines are not available that month, there is no choice but to delay.
  2. Some reports span multiple disciplines and we must make a best guess as to the correct reviewer. That reviewer may subsequently indicate that they are not able to review, and the file will have to be forwarded to another reviewer the following month.
  3. For some uncommon disciplines in Manitoba, such as petroleum engineering, or chemical engineering, we may need to find suitable reviewers, and finding these individuals can be difficult.
  4. At some times of the year, reviewers may take holidays and there will be fewer available than usual. Since reviewers are volunteers, we cannot compel those that remain to take up the slack (though many very graciously do).
  5. Near the end of the program, after 40 months confirmed experience, we will be requesting final references. The ERC prefers to review the final report along with the references in one sitting. We may therefore hold a file until this information is complete. (We understand that there may be a misconception that only the Registration Committee reviews the references. This is not true - both the Experience Review Committee and the Registration Committee review references).
We recognize the importance as you transition to a fully registered member, and will do everything in our power to make your file proceed in as timely a manner as possible, but please recognize these constraints.
Yes, you have 8 years to complete the pre-registration program.
The Professional Practice Exam (PPE) is a national exam on Law and Ethics administered by the Association of Professional Engineers, Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA). You may write the exam in Manitoba.
Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba holds exams three times a year. Depending on demand, exam days range from one to three days, with a morning and afternoon timeslot on each day. Specific offering dates can be found on the registration form in your online profile, or listed in the Events Calendar.
The computerized NPPE provides access to a large selection of test centre locations in Manitoba and across Canada. When you first register for the NPPE through your online profile, you will specify your preferred location where you would like to write the exam.

20 days prior to the exam, the locations are finalized based on demand and availability, you will receive an email from Yardstick Testing Centre inviting you to book your desired location from the available test centres. Your confirmation email will include all details (test centre location, date, timeslot and additional instructions for exam day).

Please contact the Pre-Registration Coordinator for the session cancellation deadline.
Yardstick has been carefully selected to provide exam delivery software and services for the NPPE. This award-winning vendor has been chosen based on its excellent reputation in providing computer-based testing services to clients around the world, including large-sized associations such as IATA and the Insurance Institute of Canada.
Yes. Once you register for the computer-based exam, you will have free access to a tutorial quiz prior to the exam date, which will be very similar to the actual exam software.
The exam consists of multiple-choice questions with four possible answers for each question.
The questions will appear one at a time on your screen.
Yes. You may move between questions and change answers at any point during the exam.
The exam supervisor at the test centre will time the exam. There will also be a timer on your monitor that lets you know how much time you have left.
No. Your answers are saved on a central server. If the power or Internet is interrupted, you will be able to continue with the exam where you left off, even if you switch computers.
Yes. The exam will be available in both English and French, and applicants can switch on the spot between English and French versions if they choose.
Yes. Every effort will be made to accommodate applicants with special needs. Large print, extra time, a separate room, special lighting, and other requests require the approval of the Association. Please contact the Pre-Registration Program Coordinator for more detail.
Your results will be available through your online member profile approximately four weeks after you write the exam. No results will be given out over the phone. Candidates who do not pass get a written letter with a report that outlines their strong and weak areas to help them improve on future attempts of the exam. Please note that the report does not define your grade, but simply PASS or FAIL.
If you are registered with another Canadian Engineering or Geoscience association and you have no disciplinary history, you qualify as a Canadian Mobility applicant, eligible to apply for registration as a professional member of Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba under the Agreement on Internal Trade (AIT). See Canadian Mobility Flowchart.
Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba continues to send student renewals until we receive your Application for Admission to pre-registration. If you received your student renewal notice, then please disregard it and make sure that you submit your application for pre-registration promptly.
Yes, under conditions outlined in the Manual of Admissions (PDF). Read this manual carefully. The process by which you reinstate depends on many factors including whether or not you:
  • Are in good standing with the Association (provided notice of resignation)
  • Have practised within the last two years
  • Are currently registered with another Canadian association
  • Have been participating in a continuing professional development program with another Canadian association
Yes, but you may have to meet certain conditions to resume unrestricted practice. See question 2 (above).
We strongly advise that you maintain a membership in at least one Canadian association. This will make the process easier if you wish to reinstate your membership with Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba. All the provinces follow the inter-association mobility agreement and while some associations have residency and citizenship requirements, Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba does not.

Watch your time limits! For example, if you retire, then later wish to return to become a practising Professional Member, this is most easily done within four years of going on retired status.
Yes. You must pay a de-registration fee plus the reinstatement fee to reinstate as a member of Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba.
Everyone who is eligible for U.S. Mobility MUST start as a Temporary licensee. This is because one of the requirements of full U.S. mobility is the writing of the National Professional Practice Examination or NPPE. It is only possible to write it after you are in the Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba system (or from another provincial associations' system).

Once you have written and passed this exam and provided you meet the other criteria for U.S. Mobility (see below), you may apply for U.S. Mobility, usually at the time of your next renewal period. You may elect to apply earlier than the next renewal period, but an application fee will still be charged.

The NPPE is a two (or three) hour closed book exam written by all Canadian engineers and geoscientists in all provinces. It is NOT the same as the ABC test which is open book and unique to Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba.

In the very unusual case where you may have written the Professional Practice examination already, but for some reason are NOT registered in another Canadian province, please contact the Registration Coordinator or Director of Admissions for guidance.
  1. Graduation with a four year engineering degree equivalent to a Canadian (CEAB) accredited undergraduate degree in engineering.
  2. Passing of the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) and the Professional Engineering (PE) exam(s) through NCEES.
  3. Currently registered and in good standing in at least one U.S. State.
  4. Have completed a minimum of four years of approved engineering experience as indicated by you NCEES record.
  5. Passing of the National Professional Practice Examination (NPPE)
You can continue to be a temporary licensee. Temporary licensees have most of the benefits of being a P.Eng., including right to title and the ability to be named on a certificate of authorization. The difference is that an application is required every year and you must write the ABC test once every three years.
Engineers and Geoscientists registered in the United States are eligible for U.S. Temporary licensure, however, if they are ALSO registered in a Canadian province, they should NOT apply for Temporary licensure, they should apply for full Manitoba registration.
US temporary licensees and US Mobilities both use the standard Application for Admission. To start as a temporary licensee, you must do the following:
  1. Apply to write the online ABC test by sending an email to our Registration Coordinator with your first name, last name and email address. She will enter this information which will create a profile for you and allow you to log in and write the test. Instructions for logging in.
  2. Around the same time you should submit your application to the Registration Coordinator so that the rest of the information can be entered to your profile.
  3. Once your application has been received AND she has received online notification that you have passed the ABC test, your file will be eligible to be forwarded to the Registration Committee for review and approval.

The implementation of the specified scope of practice licence in Manitoba requires Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba to honour the Agreement on Internal Trade (AIT) and recognize individuals who've already been granted a limited licence in another Canadian province.

The specified scope of practice licence provides a pathway to limited licensure for individuals with a non-traditional academic background. This category of licence recognizes the combination of education with extensive experience as potential qualification to qualify for practice in a specific scope of engineering or geoscience.

Successful applicants will ascribe to, and be held to, the same standard of skills, professionalism, and ethics as professional members.

A specified scope of practice licence is a new category of licence which allows non-engineers and non-geoscientists to practice in a specific scope of engineering or geoscience discipline. Typically applicants will be diploma holders who have years of experience which falls within a specific scope of engineering or geoscience.

The practitioner will be granted the privilege of using the title Engineering or Geoscience Licensee (Eng.L or Geo.L) and they will be issued a seal that is distinct to their licence.

To be eligible for the Specified Scope of Practice Licence you must meet one of the following conditions:

  • You currently hold a Specified Scope of Practice Licence (limited licence) with another Canadian provincial association, OR
  • You have a degree or diploma in applied science and technology with a minimum of four years in-scope experience (8 years including schooling), OR
  • You have a degree or diploma in science or equivalent in math, physics, and basic sciences, with a minimum of four years in-scope experience (8 years including schooling), OR
  • You have a non-accredited degree with a minimum of 15 years experience in your proposed scope of practice. (please note that this option may take longer to process).
  1. Persons who believe that they have these qualifications apply to the Association and complete the Application for Admission which includes: Degree(s), detailed resume, and Discipline of Practice Form.
  2. Those who appear to meet the criteria will be given a login profile and will be asked to pay a non-refundable application fee ($500.00 as of January 9, 2017). Once paid, they will be able to write the Act, Bylaws and Code of Ethics (ABC) test and submit the rest of the required information online. Once submitted, your file will be forwarded to the Experience Review Committee (ERC) for a detailed review of your resume, education, references and proposed scope of practice.
  3. If accepted, the applicant will be eligible to write the National Professional Practice Exam (NPPE) at the earliest opportunity. Exam signup will be through your login profile.
  4. Once passed, the file will be forwarded to the Registration Committee for the next available meeting.
  5. The Registration Committee will review the work and approve the applicant as a licensee provided they are satisfied.

Progress reports are very detailed documents describing your work experience that you have accumulated over the years.

Each progress report should cover only one employment position. An employment position means employment which is supervised by one supervisor. For example, if you worked under three different supervisors/departments in one company, then three different reports must be submitted and three different supervisors would attest to that experience.

Reports MUST clearly detail your experience in the specified scope in which you wish to practice. The format and scope of the reports are described in the following:

These reports must cover all criteria outlined in these documents, and contain plenty of details and examples to reflect the attainment of this criteria. It is important that you provide detail on challenges faced as well as unusual or difficult aspects faced on each project. The sample reports we have on the website are for engineers and geoscientists but these can be used as a guide.

To illustrate, the following comment is not sufficient:

  • Scheduling - I was the lead scheduler for a challenging renovation project.

The following comment is better and reflects what you actually did:

  • Scheduling - I providing the scheduling for a multi-discipline renovation of a 5000 sq. ft. commercial property in downtown Winnipeg. This project was challenging because of the varied tenancy of the building and the numerous trades and vendors involved. Timelines were very tight as there was a fixed deadline for occupancy, and one piece of the equipment was highly specialized with a long lead in time for delivery. Due to the unique nature of this equipment (a specialized pasta maker), local contractors were unfamiliar with the installation requirements and specialists had to be hired to ensure proper functioning.

All progress reports are done online using our automated system and all must be approved by your engineering/geoscience supervisor for the time period during which you did the work. It is expected that these reports will take a certain amount of time and effort and the quality expected is high. Reports that are not adequate will be rejected (or time-reduced) by the Experience Review Committee (ERC) with a request for re-submittal.

No. The person must choose which path they are planning to follow. If they have an engineering or geoscience degree they should apply for the P.Eng. or P.Geo. to become a full member NOT a specified scope of practice licensee. If they are rejected, they could potentially pursue limited licence instead.

No. However, if a person later obtains an engineering or geoscience degree, an upgrade path may be considered.

Yes. We will process their application in the same way we process an engineering mobility application. The person will normally be allowed the same scope in Manitoba as in the other province.

Each applicant must submit a Discipline of Practice form with their application. The proposal will be reviewed and then approved by the Experience Review Committee. Sample scopes from other provinces may be helpful for applicants to consider in order to streamline the application process. Some samples are available here: https://apeg.bc.ca/Member-Directories/Limited-Licensees-and-Scopes-of-Practice

No. Not according to our legislation.

At the time of this writing, there will be an initial non-refundable admission fee of $500.00. Once fully approved, the dues will be the same as the dues for professional members.

Yes, if the experience has been gained within a Canadian environment.

While we will accept a certain amount of experience earned out of country, at least 12 months of experience must have been earned within a Canadian environment, supervised (or mentored) by a P.Eng. or P.Geo. registered in the Canadian province, where the work was done, who had detailed knowledge of your work within the specified scope, at that time.

Because of the likelihood that those claiming for foreign experience would NOT have been supervised or mentored by a Canadian P.Eng. or P.Geo. , applicants who are claiming for any experience gained outside of Canada will NOT require that it be supervised (or mentored) by a P.Eng. or P.Geo. registered in a Canadian province. They will, however, require the comments and feedback of a supervisor (or mentor) who is recognized as an Engineer or Geoscientist within that country, who had detailed knowledge of their work within the specified scope at the time.

See questions 21 and 22 for the definition and explanation of 'mentoring'.

No. All reporting must be done using the online system. If this is absolutely impossible, please contact the Pre-Registration Program Coordinator to discuss options.

Yes. Once you have attained your Eng.L or Geo.L you will be subject to the Continuing Competency Requirements in the exact same way as the P.Eng's and the P.Geo's.

This process is new to Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba, and the time to process will depend on the quality, content, completeness and volume of applications we receive.

One report per employment position. The total time period for the reports must equal the experience requirement for your application condition. For example, if you completed a two-year diploma program, the total applicable experience requirement toward that licence would be: six years (of which two years are direct on-the-job experience and at least four years are directly in the specified scope). There must therefore be progress reports covering a total time frame of AT LEAST six years before the application is reviewed. The experience must be current.

Yes, as long as it is corroborated by an engineering (or geoscience) supervisor who is recognized as such in that country AND there is at least one year of experience shown that is directly supervised by a P.Eng. (or P.Geo) [within Canada]. Out-of-country experience is claimed by using progress reports in the same way as in-country experience is and is subject to the same criteria as per the Acceptable Engineering Experience Guideline and the Acceptable Geoscience guideline. Experience documented MUST be within the scope in which you wish to practice.

We will use the same list used by the Certified Technicians and Technologists of Manitoba (CTTAM) http://www.cctt.ca/accreditation/accredited-programs Degrees/diplomas accredited by the Sydney Accord are normally considered accredited. Other degrees and diplomas will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

The purpose of the work experience requirement is to demonstrate that you are able to put your education into practice. If you are working in an area that differs from your discipline of graduation, you may well require additional training or education, which will mean that you will likely require more than the minimum to obtain sufficient qualifying work experience. Every case is different however, so please contact the Pre-Registration Program Coordinator if you are uncertain.

In this case, you will require TWO people to sign off on your progress reports - your direct supervisor AND an additional mentor engineer (or geoscientist) who was aware of and able to comment on your work at that time. It will be up to you to contact that person and have them agree to act as your mentor.

In this case, you will require TWO people to sign off on your progress reports - your direct supervisor AND an additional person recognized as an engineer or geoscientist within that country, who was aware of and able to comment on your work at that time. It will be up to you to contact that person and have them agree to act as your mentor.

You are eligible to write the NPPE at any time while you are an SSPL applicant. You register for this exam at your own profile.

Usually, it's best to stick to the province in which you have started the process, complete the process in that province, and then go through via the mobility agreement. This may vary depending on your case, so please contact the Pre-Registration Program Coordinator if you are considering moving before completion.

Please contact Chantelle Cabral, Pre-Registration Program Coordinator, Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba if you have any additional questions. If necessary, you may contact by telephone, but e-mail is preferred.

Requests for an expanded scope must be accompanied by evidence of sufficient competency and skill in the application of engineering principles for the expanded scope. Obtaining this additional expertise and education takes time and effort and the applicant must submit evidence of new work rather than work already reviewed. Once an applicant has accepted a scope, requests for expansion will not be reviewed prior to the twelve month anniversary of the most recent scope approved.