Frequently Asked Questions

No. A C of A can only be issued to a partnership, corporation or other legal entity.

A sole proprietorship is not a legal entity separate from the sole proprietor.
A sole proprietorship is not the same as a single, or sole, practitioner corporation. The latter is a separate legal entity and requires a C of A.

If a member provides services as a sole proprietorship and does not carry insurance, they shall obtain written authority from the client to provide services without insurance.
Professional liability insurance is different from both comprehensive general liability insurance and product liability insurance:
  • It covers negligent errors or omissions
  • Its liability test is different
No. A group plan is impractical-too many factors affect the price (e.g. type of practice, size of business).
No. "Person" in section 59 means "a partnership, corporation or other legal entity other than a natural person."

Therefore it does not apply to a professional member who is an employee of a corporation or a partner in a partnership.

For details, see clause 16(2)(a) of The Engineering and Geoscientific Professions Act.
All engineering work provided to the customer must come from a C of A holder.

For example, if the design-build team is a contractor (not doing engineering work) and an engineering firm, then only the engineering firm must hold the C of A. If the contractor does engineering work, they must have a C of A.

A true joint venture is not a legal entity, so each venturer is responsible for its own liabilities and obligations.
Yes. If the design-build entity is a partnership of corporations it will require a C of A regardless of whether one or more of the partners already holds one. The partnership of corporations is a separate legal entity.
Yes. Associated engineering services are being delivered to the customer along with the product.
No. Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba has no jurisdiction outside of Manitoba. However, if a portion of the work product will be consumed in Manitoba, then a C of A is required.
No. None that we are aware of.
Yes. The work product, site-specific to Manitoba, is being used to develop a property within Manitoba.
No. The heading for section 16(5) in the Act "Responsibility for practice", is misleading. The wording only obliges the named person to "respond" on behalf of the C of A holder. However, that named person may be disciplined if a problem of unskilled practice or professional misconduct is attributed to him or her.
Your stamp is only valid for use when you pay your fees, and if you are in possession of the current certificate bearing the current year validation sticker.
A company name change requires you to resubmit your application for a C of A. See Maintenance & Renewals for details.