Language Requirements

You must be proficient in English to become a member of Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba, and to be successful in your career in Manitoba.

Notarized Translations

You must provide all documents required by Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba in English, or have them translated into English and notarized.

The Immigrant Centre, located in Winnipeg, provides cost-effective translation services > icmanitoba.com

Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba reserves the right to require any applicant to demonstrate proficiency in oral and written English.

English Language Proficiency

If English is not your first language or you did not receive your undergraduate or graduate degree in English:

  • You will require an English language proficiency test
  • You must submit your test results to the Association as part of your Academic Assessment
  • If you qualify for, and will be applying to, the Internationally Educated Engineers Qualification (IEEQ) program, they will also need a copy of your test results. IEEQ no longer requires the CLBPT, but will accept IELTS.

English Language Proficiency Tests

Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba recognizes these two tests:

  1. Canadian Level Benchmark Placement Test (CLBPT)
    • You require a score of benchmark level 8 in reading, writing, listening and speaking
    • There is an online self-assessment tool that will give you an unofficial CLB score in reading and listening, if you are curious about your CLB levels.
    • The Winnipeg English Language Assessment and Referral Centre (WELARC) offers this test. The test is free for all permanent residents wishing to be placed in free English language classes, thanks to funding from the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC).
  2. International English Language Testing System (IELTS)

English Language Classes

If you feel you need or want to improve your language skills, please contact WELARC for an assessment and referral appointment.

400-275 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg, MB

Practise English Online

Take advantage of the Government of Canada's online resources to practise English from your home computer: