You must gain at least four years of current work experience to be eligible for Step 6: Professional Member.
The pre-registration program will provide you with that work experience.
Progress reports are used to review that experience.
Current work experience is work completed within the past 5 years.
Experience older than that can be considered on a case-by-case basis.
You may require more than four years of work experience if your work is not deemed to be of sufficiently high quality
or does not show progression.
Make sure to review the Frequently Asked Questions.
Your work experience must include:
- Four years of work experience in total
- At least one year of work experience obtained in Canada.
On a case-by-case basis experience earned in a Canadian company overseas could be considered.
Your work experience may include:
- Up to six months of related training or technologist-level work in Engineering or Geoscience
- Up to 4 years of past experience
- Up to three years of foreign work experience
- Unlimited regular experience
- Defined as experience gained once you are admitted as an Intern and are working in a related capacity
- Unlimited late experience
- Defined as regular work experience submitted in a progress report after the two-month grace period
- Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba counts back eight months from the day you submitted the progress report
- If the date (eight months back) falls within your reporting period, the time before that date is Late Experience
- You must pay a late fee to claim the Late Experience
- Those who have completed the Academic Assessment Process will not be subject to late fees
- Up to one year of pre-graduation experience
- Can be claimed by Student Members whose membership is valid at the time the work experience is gained
- Complete a report for every continuous position held.
For example, if you have worked at the same place for three summers, three reports are expected and they should not be the same.
If you have worked for 12 months continuously without a break, it would be acceptable to submit one much longer and more detailed report.
- Experience must be validated by a P.Eng. or P.Geo. supervisor and, if applicable, a mentor
- Includes co-op and internship programs supervised by a professional member who is prepared to vouch for that experience
- Student Members may claim the experience prior to graduation to avoid a fee
(Otherwise you must pay the fee associated with claiming your work experience once admitted as an Intern)
- Student Members may claim only work experience obtained after the mid-point of your degree - after a
minimum of 58 credit hours earned toward your Engineering or Geoscience undergraduate degree
- Student Members must provide transcripts for validation and the accompanying form.
See pre-graduation work experience for details.
- Up to 48 months of post-graduate (academic) experience
- Defined as experience earned while obtaining a PhD at a university
- Unlimited pre-enrolment experience
- Defined as experience gained in Manitoba between graduation or academic qualification and admission to the
- You must pay the pre-admission fee for each month you wish to count
- Those who have completed the Academic Assessment process will not be subject to pre-enrolment fees
Next Step > Progress Reports